Dates: November 11,12,13, 2022
Times: 9:15 am-5:15pm ET
Location: Bloomington, IN
Instructor: Heather Maritano
Contact Hours: 18 CEUs/ 3 days
Prerequisites: Foundations or permission of instructor.
Through experiential exercises and didactic methods, participants in this
workshop will have opportunities to use art-making and sandtray to explore how creative processes engage with, and emerge from, grief.
Through ritual, art in various forms, motion, and stillness participants will create and compile a variety of resources for understanding how the creative process can be utilized in working with a range of grief and loss experiences without relying on verbalization.
This workshop presents an opportunity to develop appreciation for the complicated relational work that evolves between therapist and client while healing grief in expressive arts therapy.
- Apply neuroscience concepts to understand how & why to engage with grief through creative processes;
- Explain how creative processes help restore the functioning of the nervous system when working with grief experiences;
- Explain the role of the right hemisphere in processing grief during expressive arts & sand tray play therapy;
- Discern the differences and commonalities between grief and trauma;
- Discuss the importance of rituals for integrating grief;
- Discuss the sense of connection to persons, places, pets, objects as aspects of grief process;
- Identify ways in which the creative process is used to move through grief in case illustrations;
- Utilize a minimum of 4 creative processes for working with grief;
- Explain the function of creating a grief, loss, and trauma map;
- Utilize meditation, grief maps & resilience collage in conjunction with sandtray play therapy;
- Explain the concept of liminal space as an aspect of grief;
- Describe the relationship of mindfulness activities and “being with” for engaging with grief & healing.
Foundation series or permission of the instructor
All sections must be marked as complete to receive certificate.
Need help getting started?
For a little extra orientation in our digital training space, check out our step-by-step guide on creating an account, accessing your training materials, managing your Inner Resources Training email preferences, and more.
Continuing Education Credit Requirements
Inner Resources Training Institute is an approved provider for:
The Indiana Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapist, and Mental Health Counselor. Boards have approved this organization to provide category 1 continuing education units for LSWs, LCSWs, LMFTs, and LMHCs. Provider # 98000765A
Association for Play Therapy Approved Provider #07-200
To ensure you that the credits you receive are applicable for your purposes, please contact the agencies for which you are seeking credit directly. You must attend the entire session to receive credit, no partial credit will be issued. Inner Resources Training Institute follows all CE guidelines and maintains responsibility for the program.
Cancellation Policy & Scholarships
Please see terms and conditions.