This 3 hour workshop provides participants an opportunity to explore definitions of cultural competence. Focus will be given to two key aspects: the function of discomfort for growth and the exploration of one’s own culture as basis for understanding some one else’s. In the course of the workshop we will build our own poems of identity. Do not despair if you are not a poet – the format is given, you will have a guide for your own details. This workshop utilizes reflection, discussion, and sharing based on prompts given.
Past participants have identified this workshop as a personally meaningful way to earn the necessary credits for cultural competence, and useful across a variety of clinical settings, licensures, and registration. The poem prompt is adaptable to for children and adults. It may open pathways to grief at cultural loses.
Note for those needing play therapy credit, this workshop provides an activity useful in play therapy settings to help explore one’s own biases, discomforts, and provides a structured activity to safely and powerfully explore the cultural elements of any client.
- Discuss definitions of, and concepts related to, cultural competence;
- Analyze your experiences with cultures/ aspects of culture that differ from your own;
- Describe why identifying one’s own culture is essential in developing cultural competence;
- Identify ways in which family history, culture, ethnicity, and environment has helped shaped who you are today;
- List ways in which the culture you now inhabit differs from the one in which you grew up;
- Create a ‘poem of identity’ that can be used in a variety of clinical settings for exploring culture and identity with clients;
- Discuss the use of the poem in individual, family, group, and play therapy.
Need help getting started?
For a little extra orientation in our digital training space, check out our step-by-step guide on creating an account, accessing your training materials, managing your Inner Resources Training email preferences, and more.
Continuing Education Credit
Inner Resources Training Institute is an approved provider for:
The Indiana Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapist, and Mental Health Counselor. Boards have approved this organization to provide category 1 continuing education units for LSWs, LCSWs, LMFTs, and LMHCs. Provider # 98000765A
Association for Play Therapy Approved Provider #07-200
To ensure you that the credits you receive are applicable for your purposes, please contact the agencies for which you are seeking credit directly. You must attend the entire session to receive credit, no partial credit will be issued. Inner Resources Training Institute follows all CE guidelines and maintains responsibility for the program.
*All sales are final. Offer valid only for the year 2024. No refunds will be provided for inability to attend any training, regardless of the reason. A credit may be issued to your account, which can be applied towards the full purchase price of another training. This credit is valid for one year following the scheduled training you are unable to attend.