This 2-day workshop introduces the basic tools and methods of sandtray play therapy for both children and adults.
Participants will explore various elements of the sandtray process in the context of clinical practice. This training interweaves didactic discussions with hands-on exercises using miniature figurines and sand trays.
The purpose of the exercises is to demonstrate how relational play may be used as a neural exercise to address the stress that arises in the nervous system during traumatic or other problematic experiences. From these exercises, workshop participants will explore and discuss how sandtray play helps to develop flexibility in the nervous system. Participants will have opportunities to practice and refine basic skills and to ask questions in a small-group setting.
- Learn the history and theoretical background for sandtray therapy.
- Identify the difference between sandplay and sandtray play therapy
- Identify the differences in sandtray play therapy with children and adults.
- Learn how to create and maintain a sandtray play therapy clinical space
- Utilize sand and symbols to explore depth and meaning in sandtray play therapy
- Develop beginning skills for facilitating sandtray play therapy in clinical practice
- Identify sandtray play therapy process from a science informed perspective
- Articulate how trauma is stored and processed through image and sensory means.
- Identify ethical practices, competencies, & risks in sandtray play therapy
Prior knowledge or experience with the sandtray process is helpful but not necessary.
Continuing Education Credit Requirements
Inner Resources Training Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7363. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Inner Resources Training Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Association for Play Therapy Approved Provider #07-200
To ensure you that the credits you receive are applicable for your purposes, please contact the agencies for which you are seeking credit directly. You must attend the entire session to receive credit, no partial credit will be issued. Inner Resources Training Institute follows all CE guidelines and maintains responsibility for the program.
Inner Resources Training Institute is an approved provider for the Indiana Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapist, and Mental Health Counselor. Boards have approved this organization to provide category 1 continuing education units for LSWs, LCSWs, LMFTs, and LMHCs. Provider # 98000765A
Need help getting started?
For a little extra orientation in our digital training space, check out our step-by-step guide on creating an account, accessing your training materials, managing your Inner Resources Training email preferences, and more.